Who doesn’t love TACOS!? These fish tacos are so easy to make and so satisfying!
The dry rub on these blackened fish tacos is SO tasty! My husband and I have loved it for years! We use it on chicken and salmon all the time. For this recipe we used it on Tilapia. We also sprinkle it on roasted veggies for some extra flavor! I make it in advance and store it in a 4 oz mason jar in the spice cabinet. It is so great to have this one on hand because anyone can use it for a quick meal on a variety of proteins and vegetables! The fennel seeds in this is EVERYTHING!
Fish is a great low calorie high protein option for meals. It contains Omega-3 fatty acids which helps support brain function as well as heart and eye health. It also provides a healthy dose of iron, calcium, zinc and magnesium!
The slaw on these tacos is so simple and it complements the seasoning on the fish so well. It’s fresh and tangy, it’ll leave you wanting more! Add thinly sliced jalapenos to kick it up a notch! Personally, I could eat a bowl of this slaw all on it’s own! I love the combination of lime, cumin and paprika with the crunch of the cabbage!
Purple/red cabbage is packed with Vitamin C to support a healthy immune system and phytonutrients to fight inflammation and arthritis. It’s a good source of fiber and when fermented it provides gut promoting probiotics.
For all my vegetarian friends and family, try to substitute tofu in place of the tilapia, comment below if it’s share-worthy!
Blackened Fish Tacos with Purple Cabbage SlawCourse: MainCuisine: American
These tacos will bring happiness to your tastebuds! The spices in the dry rub combined with the fresh crunch and tangy notes of the slaw come together for the perfect bite! Add this to your list of quick and easy weeknight dinners!
4 fillets- Tilapia or cod
2 tablespoon avocado oil
8 – corn tortillas
- Dry rub for fish
• 2 tablespoon paprika
• 1 tablespoon oregano
• 1 tablespoon thyme
• 1 tablespoon garlic powder
• 1-2 teaspoon cayenne powder (adjust per taste)
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 1 teaspoon black pepper
• ½ tsp-1 teaspoon fennel seeds (crush to release flavor)
• 1 – 1 ½ teaspoon salt (adjust per taste)
- Purple Cabbage Slaw
• ½ purple cabbage- shredded
• 1 white onion- thinly sliced
• 1 jalapeno- thinly sliced (optional)
•t1 lime- juiced
•t1 teaspoon olive oil or avocado oil
•t½ teaspoon salt
•t1 teaspoon cumin
•t½ teaspoon black pepper
•t1 teaspoon paprika
•tFew sprigs of cilantro- chopped
- Mix all ingredients for dry rub in a small bowl. Dry both sides of each fish fillet, this will help dry rub stick better. Lay fish on a cutting board or clean surface, with one hand sprinkle seasoning on fish and with other hand pat the seasoning lightly using fingertips. Flip both fillets and repeat. Cover and let it sit while you prepare the slaw.
- Shred the cabbage, onion and jalapeno (if using) into a large bowl. I personally like my slaw very thin so I use the thinnest setting on the mandolin food slicer. Squeeze ½ lime into the bowl. Add in oil, salt, cumin, black pepper and paprika. Toss together and garnish with cilantro. Set aside until ready to assemble tacos.
- Pan sear fish in 2 tablespoon oil for about 3-4 mins on each side on medium heat. I like to use avocado oil because it has a higher smoke point. Ensure that the internal temperature of fish reaches 145˚ F. Cook for an additional couple of minutes if needed.
- Heat corn tortilla and store in foil to keep warm and soft. Use your spatula to cut fish into chunks so that it’s ready for assembly.
- Assemble tacos and enjoy!! Top it with your favorite salsa and/or sour cream!