Chicken 65 is a family favorite and I'm so excited to share my version of Creamy Chicken 65! It has all the spices of traditional Chicken 65 but without the frying and the creamiest sauce made with coconut milk! Don't worry, you can use regular milk or cream if you prefer!
What you need to make my Creamy Chicken 65:
- Chicken- thighs work best in my opinion, you can easily substitute chicken breast
- Chicken 65 masala- I like using Shan brand- you can find it at your local Indian grocery store or order online
- Coconut milk- plain, unsweetened from a can works best. You can also use regular milk or heavy cream if you prefer.
- Jalapenos or Serrano peppers depending on your taste in spice
- Tomato paste
- Corn starch
- Curry leaves
- Garlic paste
- Ginger pate
- Lemon Juice
Here are a couple of tips- Prep your rice ahead of time or start cooking the rice before you start making the chicken. Marinate the chicken a head of time, I sometimes like to prepare it over the weekend when I have extra time. I mix all the ingredients above, refrigerate it in a zip lock bag for up to 3 days. When I'm ready to use it I complete the remaining steps which typically takes 20 minutes.
This recipe is seriously SO good, it's restaurant quality but can be made at home in 30 minutes or less! It is a little on the spicy side so add more coconut milk or cream and less of the Shan masala if you want a more mild taste. Serve it with rice, paratha or naan and it'll truly make it a restaurant experience!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
Creamy Chicken 65Course: DinnerCuisine: Indian
This Creamy Chicken 65 recipe has all the spices of traditional Chicken 65 but without the frying and the creamiest sauce made with coconut milk!
1 lb chicken thighs, cubed
1 teaspoon corn starch
1 tablespoon oil + 1tsp for cooking
¼ cup Shan Chicken 65 masala - See notes for less spice/heat
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 ½ teaspoon Garlic paste
½ teaspoon Ginger pate
½ tablespoon lemon Juice
1 jalapeno or Serrano pepper, sliced length wise
4-6 curry leaves
6 oz unsweetened coconut milk (from a can) Substitute milk or heavy cream if preferred
- In a large bowl add cubed chicken and mix in corn starch
- In a smaller bowl combine Shan chicken 65 masala, oil, tomato paste, garlic, ginger, and lemon juice. Mix well and add to bowl of chicken. Combine the chicken with the mixture, coat well and set aside.
- In a large skillet heat 1 teaspoon of oil over medium-low heat, add curry leaves and sliced jalapeno or serrano pepper. Let sizzle for 1-2 minutes. Once sputtering, add chicken. Let it cook, uncovered for 10 minutes stirring occasionally so that it cooks through and evenly
- Add coconut milk or cream at this point. Continue stirring for several minutes until sauce starts to thicken and sizzle. Turn off heat and cover until ready to serve! Enjoy!
- Use 2-3 tablespoon of Shan Chicken 65 masala for a less spicy version