This Masala Cottage Cheese Dip is loaded with flavor, protein and nutrients! Make it ahead and keep it in the fridge for a quick dip or spread on sandwiches and wraps. If you love flavor packed dips/spreads than keep scrolling!
So there are two kinds of people in the world, those who LOVE cottage cheese and those who despise it completely! My hope is that this recipe will convert some of you out there because cottage cheese is such a great addition to help maintain and support a healthy balanced diet.
My husband is an "I despise cottage cheese" type of person so naturally, I had to trick him into trying this dip when I was recipe testing. His initial response was "hey this dip is good" which quickly changed to "I can't believe you made me eat cottage cheese" which was then followed by continuously snacking on the dip!
We all either know or have heard that cottage cheese is high in protein and a great snack for diabetics but it's also loaded with SO many other nutrients and can fit many lifestyles. Cottage cheese is loaded with calcium, phosphorous, vitamin B-12, riboflavin, selenium, and folate just to mention the major ones!
- Cottage cheese- I use Good Culture Double Cream Classic
- Garlic, fresh
- Lemon juice
- Tomato paste
- Garam masala
- Ground cumin
- Coriander powder
- Red chili powder
- Black pepper
See recipe card for quantities.
Cook all the spices, garlic and tomato paste in oil then set aside to let it cool for a couple of minutes. Once cool, add lemon juice to the masala paste and give it a good stir. Combine the masala paste with your favorite cottage cheese and DONE!
Hint: Once your masala paste is well combined and becomes fragrant, remove it from the pan into a shallow bowl so that it cools fairly quickly and the preparation process isn't dragged out.
Choose the cottage cheese that suits you best. Some options are whole milk, double cream, fat free, low fat and lactose free.
Store this masala cottage cheese dip/spread in an air tight container in the fridge for up to a week! Portion them out into smaller containers if you need to grab and go. You can also use bento snack boxes to make a snack pack with crackers, fresh veggies, pita wedges, etc.
Masala Cottage Cheese Dip
- 16 oz Cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 2 tablespoon Tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2-3 cloves Garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Cumin ground
- ½ tablespoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Salt adjust to taste
- In a small bowl prepare the masala- garam masala, gound cumin, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, black pepper and salt.
- In a small pan heat oil over medium heat for about a minute
- Once oil is hot, add the masala spices and cook for 1-2 minutes
- Add tomato paste and fresh garlic, combine well
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice, stir well
- Transfer masala paste to a bowl to cool for a few minutes
- In a large bowl stir together cottage cheese and masala paste. Eat it right away or transfer to an air-tight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week. Enjoy!