BREAKFAST for DINNER anyone? This Southwestern Breakfast Skillet is SO good for any time of the day! It's so quick, tasty and satisfying! We love breakfast for dinner- it requires zero prep ahead time and can be made in less than 30 minutes! We always have eggs on hand as well as bell peppers, onions, potatoes and of course jalapenos!
What you'll need for this breakfast skillet:
- Ground turkey or chicken
- Bell peppers
- Southwestern seasoning - I love Yep! Shake Southwestern
- Green onions (optional)
- Jalapenos (optional)
Don't have Southwestern seasoning on hand? Here is a quick recipe- I bet you have all these spices in your cabinet! Make a batch, use a tablespoon or so for this recipe then store the rest in an air tight container for weeks!
Southwestern Seasoning (DIY)
- 1 tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 2 teaspoon Chili powder
- ½ tablespoon Garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Coriander
- 1-2 teaspoon salt (more or less depending on your preference)
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon Cayenne or Crushed Red Pepper (optional- adjust per taste)
- ½ teaspoon Annatto powder (optional)
Combine all ingredients. Use what you need for this recipe and store remaining seasoning in an air tight container for future use.
Other egg recipes:
Southwestern Breakfast SkilletCourse: Recipes
1 lb ground turkey or chicken
4-5 new potatoes, chopped
¼ yellow onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1- 1.5 tablespoon southwestern seasoning (Yep! Shake Southwestern or see recipe above in post)
1-2 tablespoon oil and/or cooking spray
2 stalks green onions, chopped (optional)
1 Jalapeno, sliced (optional)
hot sauce (optional)
- Heat a cast iron skillet on medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil, heat for about a minute. Add potatoes and lower heat to medium low. Sauté for a minute then cover. Cook for about 4-5 minutes until potatoes are cooked through, stir occasionally.
- Add bell peppers and onion, sauté for a few minutes then remove from skillet and set aside
- Add ground meat to skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add seasoning and continue cooking for 7-8 minutes or until meat is cooked through stirring occasionally.
- *NOTE- cook the eggs in the same skillet if you prefer - skip to step 6 then add eggs then cook to your liking. Just make a few holes and drop the eggs until they are cooked to your preference. I like using a separate pan (step 5).
- While the meat is cooking, start making eggs. In a separate not-stick pan, use oil or cooking spray to cook eggs to your preference- sunny side up, over easy, over medium, ect.
- Add the veggies back to the skillet, mix well and cook for an additional few minutes.
- Take skillet off heat. Place cooked eggs in the skillet with meat and veggies or serve directly onto a plate.