Egg rolls are so delicious and sometimes I want more than just an "appetizer" portion- just being honest! But lets face it, they are not convenient to make at home especially on a weeknight. Let's ditched the frying and make egg rolls into a full blown entree! We can always enjoy real fried egg rolls as appetizers when we go out to dinner or order take out! Balance is a beautiful thing!
This bowl has all the savory goodness of an egg roll and is so filling! The cabbage slaw takes on flavors so well from the chili paste and coconut aminos. Serve it over some rice to bulk it up even more!
I love sauteing the garlic, ginger and sliced onion before adding in all the other ingredients. It really wakes up the flavors!
Coconut aminos can be a great alternative to soy sauce if you're wanting to cut back on sodium. The flavor of coconut aminos is slightly sweeter than soy sauce (because its’s made from fermented sap of the coconut blossom) which actually works so well for this dish! It still contains a decent amount of sodium and it's just the right amount so we won't be adding any salt to this recipe. And unlike soy sauce, it’s gluten free so it makes for a perfect alternative for those with gluten sensitivity/allergy.
We LOVE our sauces and this one is so simple! Sriracha and mayonnaise, that's all you need! Instructions are in the recipe!
Spicy Egg Roll in a BowlCourse: Entrees, Recipes
1 lb ground turkey (ground pork or chicken work well too) * See notes
14 oz package coleslaw mix
1 tablespoon sesame oil
½ small onion- thinly sliced
3 tablespoon Coconut aminos * See notes if using soy sauce
2-3 tablespoon Chili paste (adjust based on your taste)
2 cloves garlic- sliced thinly or minced/crushed
½ in chunk ginger peeled and chopped or crushed
½ tablespoon garlic powder
½ tablespoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon white pepper
¼ teaspoon blackpepper
2-3 sprigs green onions- chopped
1 jalapenos, sliced
2 teaspoon Sesame seeds
- Optional- Spicy Mayo sauce
2 tablespoon Sriracha
2 tablespoon Mayo
Water to thin to desired consistency
Extra sriracha if you’re like me and my hubs, we like our egg roll bowls spicy!
- In a small bowl, combine coconut aminos (or soy sauce), chili paste, garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper and black pepper. Give it a stir and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil over medium heat then add sliced garlic, ginger and onions. Stir for 2-3 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add ground meat. Using your spatula start crumbling and browning the meat. Cook until you no longer see pink and stir every few minutes. This will take 12-14 minutes.
- While meat is cooking, you can quickly make the spicy mayo sauce. In a small bowl combine sriracha and mayo with a fork or whisk. Add water to thin it out to desired consistency. (I added 1 teaspoon water)
- To the skillet, add the mixture you made in step 1 and give it a good stir then add the coleslaw mix. Using tongs, toss it a few times to combine. Cook until cabbage is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Serve it up in a bowl! Garnish with green onions, jalapenos and sprinkle on the sesame seeds.
- Ground turkey- We generally try to buy 93% Lean Ground Turkey (7% Fat)
- If you’re using soy sauce instead of coconut aminos- start with 1 tablespoon and add more at the end after tasting.
- Spicy mayo sauce is not included in the nutrition label